Browse Items (209 total)

  • Tags: Teaching and Learning

PackardLetter.pdf
Chatty letter describing the setting in the dorm room, the "Millerites" (Adventists) in Amherst, textbooks being used, etc.

CarpenterLetter.pdf
Letter from Amherst Academy student, N. Carpenter, to her friend Susan in Dudley, Mass., describing the curriculum, the number of students, Fourth of July and other recreation activities.

MessageMassAggie.pdf
An appeal from Kenyon L. Butterfield, president of Massachusetts Agricultural College, calling for young people to come and learn to become leaders in the open country. Includes sections named A Call for Leaders, The Country Boy's Creed, and A Public…

MtHolyokeSemCat.pdf
16-page catalog listing trustees, teachers and pupils at the Mount Holyoke Female Seminary for the year that Emily Dickinson attended. Describes course of study, entrance requirements, books used, vacations, Sabbath requirements, etc.

CushmanSchool.jpg
Class of Ella L. Roberts (standing in back) grouped in front of the elementary school in Cushman.

OakGroveBrochure.pdf
Brochure detailing school policies and board and tuition terms.

SPC58.jpg
Brick school house in South Amherst, now the East Street Alternative High School, part of the Amherst Regional School system.

SPC57.jpg
Brick schoolhouse in North Amherst, now the Amherst Survival Center.

SPC55KelloggAveSchool.jpg
Brick school house on Kellogg Avenue.

Terrace Home School on South Prospect.jpg
View of the school which came to be called the Terrace Home School on South Prospect Street. It was run for many years by Josephine Herrick and was a school for children with special needs. Instruction was given in instrumental and vocal music,…

Am_Acad.jpg
View of Amity Street and Amherst Academy building. The Academy building is three and one-half stories and federal style. The building was razed in 1868. Rev. David Parsons House is on the right.

Am_Acad_broadside2.jpg
Program for an exhibition of music and oration in Greek, Latin, and English at the Amherst Academy. Noah Webster is listed as the speaker giving the opening oration.

Mt Pleasant Hill and Institute.jpg
Looking up Mount Pleasant Hill toward Mount Pleasant Institute. The hill is labeled "Nash Hill" on the photograph.

Mount_Pleasant_Classical_Institution.jpg
This institution offered boys a classical education and was a well-known school throughout the Connecticut Valley and beyond in the 1830s. The school closed around 1836 and remained empty for awhile. The wings were removed to other areas of town. One…

lov1116.jpg
Originally called Middle College until North College burned in 1857. Built by Hiram Johnson, an Amherst brick mason..
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2