Mount Pleasant Classical Institute

Image

Mount_Pleasant_Classical_Institution.jpg

Title

Mount Pleasant Classical Institute

Subject

Schools; Education

Description

This institution offered boys a classical education and was a well-known school throughout the Connecticut Valley and beyond in the 1830s. The school closed around 1836 and remained empty for awhile. The wings were removed to other areas of town. One became a tenement on North Pleasant Street known as the "Bee Hive." Other sections were removed to Northampton Road. John A. Nash opened a school in the remaining central part of the building in 1846 (Carpenter & Morehouse 271).

The illustrator, Liberato Cardella was listed as instructor in Italian, music, and drawing at the Mt. Pleasant Classical Institute, Amherst, Mass. in May 1831. Cf. Groce and Wallace. The New-York Historical Society's dictionary of artists in America (New Haven, 1957), p. 108.

Creator

Cardella, Liberato
Pendleton's Lithography

Publisher

Jones Library Special Collections

Date

1840

Rights

This digital file may be used for educational uses, as long as it is not altered in any way. Prior written permission is required for any other use of the digital files from the Jones Library.

Format

image/jpg

Language

eng

Type

Still image

Identifier

Folder: Mount Pleasant Classical Institute

Original Format

Lithograph

Physical Dimensions

5.25 x 9 in.

Date Certainty

Circa

Citation

Cardella, Liberato and Pendleton's Lithography, “Mount Pleasant Classical Institute,” Omeka Test of Digital Amherst, accessed June 27, 2019, http://omekatest.digitalamherst.org/items/show/750.